Venture Capital Controller – Partnership Accounting
Aduro Advisors, LLC provides premier fund administration services to venture capital and private equity firms. We merge industry best practices and personalized recommendations to provide excellent service to our clients.
The Controller supports a client base comprised of multiple small to medium-sized venture Capital firms. Ideal candidates must be self-motivated with strong written and verbal communication skills. As a member of the Aduro Advisors team, this individual must be able to grow positive, collaborative relationships with clients and colleagues while working independently at home.
- We aim for excellence: we hire the best, work with the best, and continuously strive towards top-notch work product.
- We’re hungry!we’re constantly pushing ourselves to learn, grow, and evolve. We embrace new challenges as we know we can rise to the occasion.
- We choose our own adventure:there isn’t one size that fits all for our team or our clients. We rely on process, but are flexible and dynamic to ensure needs are met.
- We believe in the power of collaboration: great ideas win and we all have a seat at the table. We believe a diverse team & diverse clients >> diversity in ideas >> the best outcomes.
- We take ownership:we pitch in where it’s needed – regardless of role – to get the job done.
- We have integrity: we do what we say we’re going to do, no funny business. Period.
- We ask for what we need: we’re great accountants, not mind readers. We expect our team to clearly communicate what they need and ask clients to do so as well.
- We trust our team:we give our team the space to thrive and trust them to ask for help when needed.
An Aduro Controller is the primary point of contact for client contacts. Along with support from an assigned CFO and Directors, the Controller is responsible for performing or coordinating accounting, finance and some compliance services for a client’s investment entity, management company and General Partner entity. A Controller must be able to:
- Act as the main-point-of-contact for multiple client contacts
- Reconcile banking transactions and prepare journal entries in accordance with US GAAP in Xero
- Drive month-end close process and raise follow-up questions to Director, CFO or client (as appropriate)
- Reconcile and maintain investment information for all fund investments
- Prepare quarterly financial statements including partners’ capital allocations
- Utilize proprietary investment management database to send investor correspondence including capital contributions, distributions, and quarterly reporting
- Update proprietary investment management database for fund activity and investments
- Prepare audit materials and manage year-end financial statement audit and tax work
- Respond to ad hoc General Partner / Limited Partner data requests
Qualifications & Experience
- Minimum 5 years of experience in the alternative asset industry; 10+ years preferred
- In-depth understanding of US GAAP and partnership accounting including complex allocation waterfalls
- External auditor experience / CPA certification / MBA a plus
- Proficient in accounting systems such as Xero or Quickbooks
- Comfortable with software systems including Gsuite, Microsoft Office, Box, Slack
- Must be self-motivated, able to work independently, and comfortable working remotely
- Must be detail-oriented, organized, service-focused, thoughtful, and excellent at both written and verbal communication